Text of the agreement signed between Pakistan and Azad Kashmir Governments
By Shabir Choudhry
The agreement between Pakistan and Azad Kashmir Governments was signed by the following in March 1949 :
Honorable Mushtaque Ahmed Gurmani,
Minister without Portfolio, Government of Pakistan.
Sardar Mohammed Ibrahim Khan,
the president of Azad Kashmir.
Choudhry Ghulam Abbas,
Head of All Jammu and Kashmir Muslim Conference.
This was the only Kashmiri political party on this side of the cease fire line at that time, and the Agreement it was persuaded to sign, very seriously limited the role of Azad Kashmir Government in the Kashmiri freedom struggle. Therefore it is no surprise that respective governments of Azad Kashmir have very little or no interest in the freedom of the State of Jammu and Kashmir.
A. Matters within the purview of the Government of Pakistan.
- Defence (as modified under....).
- Foreign policy of Azad Kashmir.
- Negotiations with the United Nations Commission for India and Pakistan.
- Publicity in foreign countries and in Pakistan.
- Co - ordination and arrangement of relief and rehabilitation of refugees.
- Co - ordination of publicity in connection with plebiscite.
- All activities within Pakistan regarding Kashmir such as procurement of food, civil supplies running of refugee camps and medical aid.
- All affairs of Gilgit - Ladakh under the control of Political Agent.
B. Matters within the purview of Azad Kashmir Government.
- Policy with regard to administration of AK territory.
- General supervision of administration in AK territory.
- Publicity with regard to the activities of the Azad Kashmir Government and administration.
- Advice to the honorable Minister without Portfolio with regard to negotiations with United Nations Commission for India and Pakistan.
- Development of economic resources of AK territory.
C. Matters within the purview of the Muslim Conference.
- Publicity with regard to plebiscite in the AK territory.
- Field work and publicity in the Indian occupied area of the State.
- Organization of political activities in the AK territory and the Indian occupied area of the State.
- Preliminary arrangements in connection with the plebiscite.
- Organization for contesting the plebiscite.
- Political work and publicity among the Kashmiri refugees in Pakistan.
- Advise the honorable minister without Portfolio with regard to the negotiations with the United Nations Commission for India and Pakistan.
Director, Institute of Kashmir Affairs
Return to Articles list