January 2017 News

Two Militants Killed In Ganderbal

24 January 2017
Greater Kashmir
Irfan Ahmed

Srinagar: Police and army today said two militants were killed in an encounter in Hadoora area of Shuhama in central Kashmir's Ganderbal district. According to police, the encounter between militants and security forces broke out early Tuesday morning. 'Acting on a tip off about the presence of militants in Hadoora area, 5 RR along with police and CRPF started a combing operation, however militants in a house opened fire on the search party which was retaliated, resulting in an encounter,' a police official told Greater Kashmir. 'In the ensuing gunfight two militants have been killed.' SSP Ganderbal, Imtiaz Ismail Parray, said that both the militants were from Pakistan and associated with LeT. The police officer identified them as Abu Anas and Qari Hanzullah. Talking to media persons during a press briefing at 5 RR headquarters Ganderbal, Commanding Officer Sandeep Sirohi said that security forces followed standard operating procedure and ensured that no civilian is harmed. Reports said that minor protests erupted in the area against the killings. In a statement in the evening, police said the two militants were involved in Fidayeen attack on August 15, 2016, at Nowhatta in which a commandant of CRPF 49 BN namely Pramod Kumar and a police constable were killed. They were also involved in the attack on SSB convoy at Zakoora Srinagar on 14-10-2016 in which one SSB man was killed, police said. Cop injured in Pulwama attack: Militants tonight attacked a mobile security picket in south Kashmir's Pulwama district, injuring a policeman. Militants fired upon a joint 'naka' (checking) party of police and CRPF in Hall area of Rajpura in Pulwama, a police official said. He said police constable Firdous Ahmad was injured in the attack. The injured cop has been shifted to a hospital and a hunt has been launched to nab the attackers, the official said. Search operation in Sopore: Forces launched massive search operation in Arampora area of Sopore town in the wee hours on Wednesday. The forces raided the area at 1:30 a.m. and began house-to-house searches.