January 2017 News

Valley Protests Against Attack On Kathua Muslims

13 January 2017
Kashmir Observer

Srinagar: Following the protest call given by the resistance leadership, the protest against the attack on Kathua Muslims was carried out on Friday at various places demanding action against the persons involved in the attack. The protest call was given by the leadership including Hurriyat (G) chairman, Syed Ali Geelani, Hurriyat (M) chairman, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief, Muhammad Yasin Malik in their joint statement. They had appealed people to stage protests after Friday prayers. According to reports after the mandatory congregational Friday prayers ended at Abi Guzar Masjid, the leaders and activists of JKLF carried out a protest march against 'attack on Kathua Muslims'. Raising slogans against the attack on Kathua Muslims, the leaders as well as the activists were carrying holding placards displaying 'Attack of Hindu chauvinists on Jammu Muslims are not acceptable'. The leaders condemned the attack and said that such kind of attacks must to be stopped. 'It is not the first time that the Muslims in Kathua have been attacked but the Muslims in the area were attacked earlier as well,' the leaders said. They said that they are with the Kathua Muslims and won't allow anyone to carry out such kind of attacks on Muslims in the state, adding that strict actions must be taken against the culprits involved in the attack. Meanwhile, Hurriyat (M) leaders along with the locals also staged protest outside Jamia Masjid against the 'attack on Muslims by RSS' in Kathua and demanded immediate action against the culprits. According to reports, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Batamaloo area of Srinagar during which forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth. Intense clashes erupted in Sopore town of Baramulla district as hundreds of protesters assembled near old Jamia Masjid and started marching towards main chowk after mandatory Friday prayers. Raising massive pro-freedom slogans, the protesters were demanding the release of youth who have been arrested during the summer uprising in 2016. Reports said that forces used teargas shells to foil the protest march resulting in intense clashes in the town. Meanwhile, Director General of Police (DGP), Dr S P Vaid told KNS that the situation across the Valley remained under peaceful. However, he said, 'Minor stone pelting incidents were reported from two or three places but the overall situation across the Valley remained peaceful.