January 2016 News

Militant, Civilian Killed In Pulwama

20 January 2016
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: A Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) militant was killed in a fierce gun battle with the security forces at Naina village of South Kashmir's Pulwama district this morning and a youth was killed in alleged security force firing while they were controlling a mob after the gun battle in which around 30 people including 17 policemen were injured. Security forces this morning killed a militant of Hizbul Mujahideen at Naina village of Pulwama after overnight gun battle. Reports said that two of the HM militants managed to escape from the security cordon. Security forces last evening cordoned off Naina village after receiving specific information about the presence of 2-3 militants. The joint operation against the militant group was launched by police's Special Operation Group (SOG), Army's Rashtriya Rifles and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF). Police said that during searches, militants fired on the security forces from the residential house of one Abdul Salam Malik, triggering fierce gun battle. The encounter continued throughout the night and in the morning security forces blasted off the house where militants were hiding and razed it to the ground. Sources said that three militants including a top militant commander were believed to be trapped but the commander along with another one managed to flee from the spot. During searches, the forces recovered the body of one militant identified as 20-year old Shariq Ahmed Bhat, resident of Brow Bandana village of Awantipora in the district. The slain was associated with Hizbul Mujahideen, police said. An Army official said one AK 47 rifle and 'some other war like stores have been recovered from the encounter site'. A youth was killed after security forces opened fire on protesters who were protesting against the killing of a Hizbul Mujahideen militant at Naina village of south Kashmir's Pulwama district. The clashes left nearly three dozen persons including a Police officer injured. Hundreds of people attempted to march towards the encounter spot at Naina village. The protesters were intercepted by security forces, resulting in clashes. Angry protesters pelted stones on security forces and they fired dozens of teargas shells. As the clashes turned intense, the security forces allegedly opened fire on protesters, leaving three injured. The injured persons were immediately rushed to Public Health Centre (PHC) Awantipora, where a youth identified as Parvaiz Ahmed Guroo resident of Naina, succumbed to his injuries. The condition of another injured Farooq Ahmad Dar of Dogripora , Awantipora, who was hit in abdomen, is said to be critical. Soon after the news about the death of a civilian reached Naina and its adjoining areas, hundreds of people took to streets and held protests. Protesters clashed with security forces at multiple places and also set ablaze an armoured vehicle of police - Rakshak - on fire at Naina. During clashes four civilians sustained pellet and bullet injuries while a police official said 17 security personnel including a top officer were also injured. A photojournalist of daily Exceslior, Younis Khaliq, was also injured as he was hit by two stones in his leg while covering clashes. He was shifted to hospital and received two stitches. A Police spokesman said: 'On 19.01.2016, based on a specific information about the presence of terrorists in Naina, Pulwama police along with Army and CRPF launched a cordon-search operation. During the operation, terrorists opened indiscriminate firing on the security forces which was retaliated. During the ensuing encounter, more than 50 civilians who had got entrapped due to cross firing in a nearby mosque were rescued safely by the Pulwama police. In the gun battle, one dreaded terrorist of HM outfit got killed who was later identified as Shariq Ahmed Bhat R-o Brow Bandana, Awantipora.' 'During the operation, a large number of rioters came towards operation site and pelted stones on the security forces. Security forces exercised maximum restraint and 17 security force personnel got injured - including Nazir Ahmed Ganai, DySP of 18 Bn IRP who sustained multiple fractures in his leg. A police vehicle was also set ablaze by the unruly mob. During the uncontrolled rioting, three rioters got firearm injuries, out of which, one Parvaiz Ahmed Guroo resident of Naina later succumbed to his injuries. The condition of other two rioters is said to be stable. Case FIR No. 10-16 and 11-16 stand registered in PS Pulwama and investigation is on', the spokesman said.