India To Raise Raids, Ceasefire Violations, Infiltration Bids

India To Raise Raids, Ceasefire Violations, Infiltration Bids

22 December 2013
The Daily Excelsior
Sanjeev Pargal

Jammu: India will be raising the issue of massive increase in ceasefire violations, raids on forward Indian Army posts and facilitation of infiltrations attempts of the militants by Pakistan Army during Director General of Military Operations (DGMOs) level talks at Wagah border on Pakistan side opposite Amritsar district of Punjab. Though a host of issues were expected to come up during DGMO level talks, majority of them would be Jammu and Kashmir specific. This would be the first one-to-one contact between the two DGMOs after a gap of 14 years as they had last met in May 1999 in the aftermath of Kargil conflict. The two DGMOs, however, hold regular telephonic talks on hotline every Tuesday to discuss the issues of emergency nature. Official sources told the Excelsior that the meeting between Indian DGMO Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia and his Pakistan counterpart Maj Gen Aamer Riaz was likely to concentrate on ceasefire violations in Jammu and Kashmir and two raids by the Pakistan Army in Poonch sector in January and August this year in which seven Indian soldiers were killed among other issues. The Indian side would present strong documentary evidence of ceasefire violations by the Pakistan Army, some of which were aimed at targeting civilian areas and facilitating infiltration attempts by the militants. Sources said the Indian side would raise the issue of two raids by Pakistan Army-first at Mankote on January 8 and second at Sarla battalion area at Chakan-Da-Bagh on the intervening night of August 4 and 5-both in Poonch sector in which seven Army soldiers were killed-two in the first raid and five in the second. Pakistan Army had beheaded one of the soldiers in the raid of January 8 at Mankote. Apart from these two raids, the Indian side would also take up the issue of increased ceasefire violations by Pakistan Army on the Line of Control (LoC) in the months of August and September and International Border (IB) in Jammu sector in October this year, which had escalated tensions on the areas bordering Pakistan and civilians had to migrate at a number of places. “Under the cover of some of the ceasefire violations, Pakistan Army had also tried to facilitate infiltration attempts by the militants,’’ sources said, adding this would be categorically told to the Pakistani DGMO that such things can’t be tolerated as they were not good for maintaining peace on the borders. Sources said as many as 195 ceasefire violations have been reported this year along the LoC so far, which were highest ever after the 2003 ceasefire agreement came into force between India and Pakistan. Besides, there have been over 50 ceasefire violations on the International Boundary with Pakistan also in Jammu region, the majority of which took place in the month of October when hostilities between the two countries were at their peak. A BSF jawan was killed and 30 others including 17 civilians and 13 security personnel were injured in Pakistan shelling and firing on the IB. The meeting of the two DGMOs was aimed at reducing the level of tension on the LoC and IB. The DGMO level talks had been agreed upon in September when Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh met his counterpart Nawaz Sharif at the United Nations (UN) in New York. However, it took nearly three months to Pakistan to extend an invitation to the Indian DGMO for talks. Sources said the Indian DGMO could present evidence to his counterpart on ceasefire violations, killing of Army soldiers, facilitating infiltration attempts and targeting civilian areas during the firing to his Pakistani counterpart during December 24 talks.