Govt Admits Lapses Led To Attack On Army Camp In J-K

Govt Admits Lapses Led To Attack On Army Camp In J-K

10 October 2013
India Today


New Delhi: The Centre has admitted to lapses which led to an infiltration and the fidayeen attack in Jammu on September 26, in which 10 people were killed when terrorists stormed a police station and an Army camp. An inquiry is underway to fix responsibilities of various security agencies and also to suggest corrective steps. Despite information that such an attack could take place, it could not be averted. 'Some lapses were there... An inquiry is on. We had information about possible infiltration attempts in the entire belt (Indo-Pak border along Jammu sector). We are making corrections based on our experience,' Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said at his monthly press conference. Shinde said the ministry has sought a report from the J&K government on the possible lapses. He added that the Border Security Force (BSF) and the Army are also inquiring into the incident in which three terrorists carried out the audacious attack. Dressed in army fatigues, four terrorists carried out the attack. While three were gunned down, it is suspected that the fourth managed to escape and is hiding in the Samba-Kathua area where the incident took place. Sources said there is also intelligence that two more terrorists sneaked in through the same area and were planning more such attacks. Prior to the attack on September 26, there had been specific intelligence that terrorists from Pakistan would make attempts to infiltrate from the international border in Jammu - Samba and Kathua were identified as vulnerable spots among others.