LoC Flare-up: Six Civilians Dead In Indian Assault

LoC Flare-up: Six Civilians Dead In Indian Assault

15 August 2013
Express Tribune


Islamabad: A heavy barrage of firing by Indian troops “along the Line of Control” on Thursday left at least six civilians injured, as the faceoff between forces of the two countries entered their second week. Military sources said that without provocation Indian troops violated the LoC ceasefire at the Kotli sector twice on Thursday. The firing, which started at 4:30am, continued till midday and injured six civilians – including two young girls – on the Pakistani side of the LoC, they told The Express Tribune. On the other hand, Indian Army officials claimed three soldiers had been injured and a civilian on the Indian side was killed in shelling by Pakistan along the Balakot region of the LoC. The latest border clashes were triggered by Indian claims that Pakistan troops ambushed its outpost at LoC, killing five Indian soldiers last week. However, Islamabad strongly denies the charge. Since then the two armies have continued to exchange fire at the LoC, a temporary border that divides Kashmir. Earlier this week, the National Assembly passed a resolution denouncing ‘unprovoked Indian aggression along the Line of Control’, the mob attack on Pakistan’s diplomatic mission in New Delhi, demonstrations outside PIA offices in India, the prevention of the Dosti bus in Amritsar and the ‘vilification’ of Pakistan in the Indian media. In a tit-for-tat move, the Indian Parliament on Wednesday passed a resolution asserting that the entire state of Jammu and Kashmir “including the territory under occupation of Pakistan is and shall always be an integral part of India.” Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, meanwhile on Wednesday, called for the de-escalation of tensions with neighboring India, saying Pakistan would respond to the ongoing situation with ‘restraint and responsibility.’ All Parties Hurriyat Conference declared strike in Indian held Kashmir. Authorities imposed stringent measures to prevent people from holding anti-India demonstrations on the country’s 67th Independence Day. Mobile phone services remained suspended.