60% Foreign Militants Active In Kashmir: Claims Indian Army General

60% Foreign Militants Active In Kashmir: Claims Indian Army General

13 June 2013
Kashmir Watch


Srinagar: Expressing concern over the educated youth joining militancy ranks the outgoing GoC 15 Corps Lt General Om Prakash Thursday said though majority of militants are uneducated but the joining of qualified ones also cannot be ruled out at all. “There is no denying of educated and qualified youth having taken up arms which is, no doubt, a matter of serious concern,” GoC said while interacting with media persons on his farewell function. Prakash said there are 325 militants active in J&K as per the inputs from all the intelligence agencies. “Most of them are locals.” He said the situation is stable and has improved from last year, “but at the same time, it is fragile”. “We will cross milestone if 2013 and 2014 will be peaceful and we are trying a lot in this direction,” he said. GoC according to Global News Service said that there are about 70 percent militants active in North Kashmir and 30 percent in South Kashmir. “Out of which 60 percent are foreigners and remaining 40 percent are locals.” “We also succeeded in killing many of the top militant leaders across Kashmir Valley particularly in South Kashmir,” he said. When asked why there was not so much interaction between army and media during his tenure, GoC said this was done in order to prevent “oral clash” between army and government. Prakash also lauded the role played by security forces in tackling the “Post Afzal Guru Hanging” situation. “There were apprehensions that situation might turn ugly but I am thankful to public for showing their cooperation in returning peace in a very short span of time.” Asked about his stand on controversial AFSPA, GoC said they have put forward their suggestions to the Ministry of Defence (MoD). About the recent infiltration bids, Prakash said the army is fully prepared to counter any infiltration attack. “We are fully prepared to counter any attack.” The outgoing GoC in his adieu message appealed the army to maintain good relations with the people. “There is a need to bridge the gap between army and people.”