PLA Incursion Spread Over 800 Sq Kms, Chinese Troops Reinforce Position

PLA Incursion Spread Over 800 Sq Kms, Chinese Troops Reinforce Position

1 May 2013
The Daily Excelsior
Fayaz Bukhari

Srinagar: The General Officer Commanding (GOC) Northern Command, Lieutenant General KT Parnaik today discussed the Chinese incursion with senior Army officers in Leh while official sources said that People’s Liberation Army of China has incurred around 800 square kilometres of Indian territory in Daulat Baig Oldi sector in last month’s incursion. Lieutenant General Parnaik discussed the PLA incursion with his Army Commanders at 14 Corps headquarters in Leh today and the steps taken by the Army to counter such incursions by the PLA. The GOC 14 Corps, Lt General Rajan Bakhi briefed the Northern Army chief about the latest developments along the Line of Actual Control (LAC). Sources said that the PLA has incurred around 800 square kilometres of Indian territory in Daulat Baig Oldi sector. “They are on top of a hill at and altitude of around 17000 feet while Indian Army is in the plains with a ravine, rikki nallah, acting as a barrier between the two armies.” Sources said that the incursion in DBO sector will have long term impact on road construction project in the sector as the PLA are overlooking that sector from their new held posts. “The Chinese are camping at a strategic location that will affect the patrolling of Indian Army in the area as well”, the sources added. Sources said that the PLA has brought two or three vehicles near their camping site in Despang valley in DBO sector. “The nearest mortarable road from Indian side to the Despang valley in DBO sector is around 100 kilometres. And Indian Army has to move on foot while on Chinese have mortarable road in the DBO sub sector right up to the LAC”, sources added. Sources said that yesterday’s the flag meeting at Chushul ended in a dead lock. “It was held at Captain level and normally flag meetings take place either at Brigadier or Colonel level. It speaks of the Chinese least interest in these meeting to resolve the DBO incursion”, sources added. Sources said that there was no headway as PLA insisted that they are in their own territory and asked for dismantling of bunkers and huts by Indian Army. They also raised the issue of the cross LAC movement by Indian civilians and asked the Indian Army to stop it immediately. Sources said that the PLA has erected more tents in DBO and their number has gone upto 11 from initial 4. “They have brought two vehicles near their camping site. However, the number of the PLA personnel stationed at the camping site is not clear”, sources added. It may be mentioned here that PLA made incursions in Debang valley and camped around 19 kilometres inside Indian Territory. Despite protests by India, the Chinese Army refused to vacate the territory. In the meantime, sources said Indian Army officers today participated in the Border Personnel meeting which being is held every year on May 1 on Chinese side. However, neither side took up the issue of recent tension between the two armies in Leh after PLA incursion in DBO. PTI adds from New Delhi: China has reinforced its position in Daulat Bag Oldi (DBO) sector, 19 kilometre deep inside Indian territory, where they are getting regular supplies through trucks. According to reports sent to the Union Home Ministry, the Chinese side had adopted agressive posture during patrolling in the DBO sector, where they have picted five tents, and were refusing to end the face-off which has entered the third week. After the failed Brigadier-level meeting on Tuesday at Chashool, Indian side stepped up vigil in the area through Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) while its troops reported that supplies to the Chinese forces were being replenished through a convoy of trucks. Meanwhile, local people in Ladakh area have been found to be resentful towards, what they call, the lenient posture of Indian authorities. Army chief Gen Bikram Singh today briefed the Cabinet on the incursion issue in Ladakh, where Chinese troops have put up tents 19 km inside Indian territory, and steps taken by the force to resolve the crisis. Sources said the meeting also explored various options before the country to address the issue. Meanwhile, an Indian team, which had gone to China, has returned and the two sides have agreed to hold joint exercise in October but the exact date would be finalised later. An Army team will visit China in July to finalise the date on which the drills will happen in that country. The first edition of the bilateral exercise was held in 2007 in Kunming in China while the second edition took place in Belagum in Karnataka in 2008. The exercises were stopped for a brief period, but the two sides agreed to resume them during last year’s India visit of Chinese Defence Minister.