Attack On Sagar: CM Orders Probe

Attack On Sagar: CM Orders Probe

12 December 2011
Greater Kashmir


Srinagar: Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Monday ordered a thorough investigation into the attack on Law Minister Ali Muhammad Sagar at his home in Srinagar a day earlier that killed his bodyguard. “The Chief Minister wants a comprehensive report and how it happened and what were the loopholes,” said a senior official quoting Abdullah's instructions to Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani and Director General of Police Kuldeep Khoda. There is also a possibility of the government issuing new ‘dos and don'ts’ to ministers, legislators and top functionaries of political groups. Omar has spoken to Sagar and assured all possible security to him and his family, the official said. Police officials said that the top brass of the security apparatus convened a high level meeting here to assess the overall situation in the valley. They said that focus of the deliberations was the attack on the minister. “We reviewed the entire security scenario in the valley particularly Srinagar in the backdrop of the attack. The investigations will be carried out to ascertain the facts,” Minister of State for Home, Nasir Aslam Wani, who was heading the meeting, told Greater Kashmir. A probe, he said, has been launched to crack the case. “We have lodged FIR in the case and investigations are on,” he said. Official sources said that preliminary investigations have been started and several facets are being investigated. Sources said that during the meeting senior police officers raised the issue of the minister’s movement without any intimidation to police on Sunday evening. “We are looking how Ali Muhammad Sagar traveled to the place without informing us. It is also part of the investigations as we want to know how they ignored police when a Cabinet Minister is involved,” disclosed a senior police officer wishing anonymity. “We went to the area for carrying out investigations especially the place where from the attack was carried out. But we are yet to reach to any conclusion,” informed a senior police officer. Police sources said that some inputs have been received about the attack and are being investigated. Sagar escaped unhurt when unidentified gunmen made a bid on his life at Shah Mohalla in Nawab Bazar here. He had gone to attend the engagement of his nieces there. The attack claimed his Personal Security Officer (PSO) and injured three others including a civilian. Following the attack, Sagar was escorted by Inspector General of Police SM Sahai to his official residence at Church Lane. The attack came barely two weeks after National Conference activist was shot at and wounded in nearby Safakadal area. Reports said that soon after the incident, auto-rickshaws parked near the house were seized by police and have not been handed over to their owners yet. Sagar’s brother Nazir Ahmad told Greater Kashmir that they were dealing with the guests at the time of the attack and his brother was sitting with them. “I have never faced any problem here. But I don’t know why attack was carried on especially when my daughters were getting engaged,” he rued. Meanwhile the security was beefed up in the city in view of the attack. Hundreds of policemen and paramilitary CRPF were deployed at several places across the city. Jamiat-ul-Mujahideen (JuM) has claimed responsibility for the attack. “The objective of attack was to kill NC senior leader. It was also a reaction to Dr Farooq Abdullah’s statement about reopening of liquor shops and cinema halls in Valley,” said the outfit spokesman, Jameel Ahmad, in a statement on Monday. However, Inspector General of Police SM Sahai said, “The claim doesn’t tally with the initial inputs we have about the case.” While talking to Greater Kashmir, Sahai said, “There is every possibility of sleeper module of militants being involved in the attack. They may have entered the city and left. Investigations are on and we are probing all the angles.” Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has condemned the attack. Omar expressed sorrow over the loss of life of a security person and injury to others. He said that there are no takers of violence and bloodshed. “These are the activities condemned by one and all”, he added. An official spokesman said that MoS Home laid floral wreaths at District Police Lines over the mortal remains of the deceased PSO, Gulzar Ahmad, who died in yesterday’s attack. A two-minute silence was observed as a mark of respect to the departed soul. The wreaths were also laid by Ali Muhammad Sagar, Minister for Medical & Technical Education, R. S. Chib, Minister for Social Welfare, Sakina Itoo, Minister of State for Hajj & Auqaf, Aijaz Ahmad Khan, DGP, Kuldeep Khoda and other senior police and civil officers. Later, the Minister visited SKIMS and Bone & Joint Hospital to enquire about the health of the other two injured, Muhammad Yaqoob and Feroz Ahmad. He asked the Health Department to extend the best possible medical facilities to the injured to facilitate their speedy recovery.


[Home] [Archives 2011]
Web site maintained by Md. Sadiq & Friends