NIA team returns with computer

NIA team returns with computer

10 September 2011
The Daily Excelsior


Jammu: Clueless even after 72 hours, police and NIA in Kishtwar today conducted searches in some houses of suspected persons in the town and seized few computers even as it quizzed some surrendered militants and Over Ground Workers (OGWs) of the militants to reach to the accused wanted in sending terror email from ‘Global Internet Cafe’ in Kishtwar to media houses claiming responsibility for the blast outside the Delhi High Court in which 13 persons were killed and 76 others were injured. Several suspects were detained for questioning during the day by the investigators, quizzed for few hours and then set free as there were no clues about the accused. Official sources said the private computers were sealed from some houses as police anticipated that the email might have been generated elsewhere and forwarded to the sender’s account, who further sent it to two English national news channels few hours after the blast claiming that Harkat-ul-Jehad Islami (HuJI) had executed the terror act. The cyber experts, who too had been unable to extract any significant data from the computers so far, were examining the private computers seized from the houses in search of any clues in the terror mail. Sources said the NIA team comprising Shiv Kumar Sharma, SP and Shamsher Singh Parihar, DySP, both hailing from Jammu, also returned to New Delhi this afternoon after camping in Kishtwar for about three days but failed to yield any clues in the terror email. The NIA team took with them the computer used in sending email and other relevant material. The NIA team was without any cyber expert. Having failed to make any breakthrough in arresting the mail sender, police today quizzed several surrendered militants and suspects OGWs of different militant outfits especially HuJI to reach to the accused. They included Irshad Ahmed and Farooq Ahmed. The surrendered ultras, however, couldn’t give any significant clues to the police so far. Sources said police also called the record in the form of CDs preserved by police and Intelligence agencies of the protests held in Kishtwar in support of last year’s summer unrest in Kashmir and on some other occasions in support of Kashmiri separatists. The youth in forefront of the protests were also called for questioning but to no avail. However, some of the suspects were yet to be questioned. Most of the suspects detained by police on Thursday and Friday remained in police custody for questioning and assisting in investigations. They included owner and Manager of the cyber cafe-Mehmood Khwaja and Ashwani Kumar respectively and some college students including Shoaib Ahmed and Ashiq Hussain. Sources said police and NIA hadn’t been able to extract any clues from the detained persons, which could lead them to the mail sender or even help them prepare accurate sketch of the accused. A rough sketch was prepared by police on the basis of questioning of Ashwani Kumar, Manager of the cyber cafe, who was present in the shop when the email was sent by the accused on Wednesday afternoon between 1.30 pm to 1.45 pm. A number of students and youth, who had been visiting cyber cafes for net surfing were called for questioning by the police but allowed to go after sometime as none of them was identified by Ashwani Kumar. Sources said even Ashwani Kumar hadn’t properly seen the mail sender, which was the reason that the investigating agencies were unable to prepare the proper sketch of the accused. PTI adds from New Delhi A switch believed to have been used to trigger the briefcase bomb blast outside Delhi High Court was found as a breakthrough in the probe still eluded investigators three days after the terror attack. As investigators struggled to find conclusive leads, Union Home Secretary R K Singh said security agencies were attending to all the four emails purportedly sent by terror outfits HuJI and IM claiming responsibility for the Wednesday blast in which 13 people were killed and 76 injured. 'We are not dismissing any email. We are investigating each and every email we have got,' he told reporters. Singh however indicated there was a possibility that this could be a prank being played by someone. Sources said that a switch used in the bomb was found by investigators. But, they said the timer device, if at all used, is yet to be recovered. Asked about reports that timer used to trigger the blast had been found, Singh said it was not correct. Sources said probe agencies were now looking into the possibility of whether Indian Mujahideen (IM) operatives carried out the attack with the help of some other terror outfit. They said the anti-terror squads of various states were working on the case but none of them have got any substantive leads. The investigators were also not ruling out the possibility of IM cadres being helped by some other group on the basis of a comparative analysis of July 13 Mumbai triple explosions and the High Court blast since materials and components found in the bombs were similar. They also suspected that some of the 11 fugitive IM operatives who were allegedly involved in 2008 Delhi serial blasts, may have played a part in the High Court attack. Four men-two each in Alwar in Rajasthan and Mumbai-were detained by police since they resembled the sketches of possible suspects released by the Delhi Police but they were freed after questioning and getting their identities verified. The two men detained in Alwar hailed from Anantnag in Jammu and Kashmir. Sources said an analysis showed that in Mumbai blasts, ammonium nitrate was mixed with fuel oil and detonator had traces of PETN while the bomb used to trigger the explosion outside Delhi High Court had PETN as its major component with few traces of ammonium nitrate. Investigators said PETN is used mostly by terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir and IM had earlier used ammonium nitrate for making bombs. So now we are looking into the possibility of whether Indian Mujahideen is being helped by some other group,' a top police official said. Another source maintained that unlike this time, in earlier cases there were ample evidence available for the anti-terror squads to make out which IM modules were involved. Meanwhile, 38 cheques were given away today to the next of kin of the victims of Delhi High court blast that claimed 13 lives. 'Today we distributed 38 cheques that were issued from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund to the blast victims’ relatives. 'Prime Minister had sanctioned Rs two lakh to each of the deceased in the blast and one lakh each each to those seriously injured in the incident,' sources said. Eight cheques worth rupees two lakh were given to the beneficiaries of the deceased and 30 cheques worth rupees one lakh each were given to those seriously injured, they said. Meanwhile, the Delhi Government too has distributed 54 cheques to those affected by the bomb blast. 'Till yesterday we had distributed 41 cheques and today we have almost been able to give away the rest,' sources said. Delhi Government had announced a compensation of Rs 4 lakh each to the next of kin of those killed in the blast outside the Delhi High Court while those permanently incapacitated have got Rs 2 lakh. Those seriously injured in the blast will get Rs one lakh while in case of death of a minor, the family will get Rs 1.5 lakh. People who received minor injuries in the blast will be given Rs 10,000.


[Home] [Archives 2011]
Web site maintained by Md. Sadiq & Friends