Separatists Mum After Putting Youth Into Trouble: Omar

Separatists Mum After Putting Youth Into Trouble: Omar

28 August 2011
The Hindu
Shujaat Bukhari

Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah who, on Sunday announced a general amnesty to nearly 1,200 youths - who were involved in violence last year - said separatists “have been silent” about these persons whose future they put at stake. The youth, who were instigated to throw stones and burn buildings, “have been doing the rounds of police stations and courts for many months now.” They would not be given no-objection certificates (NoCs) for jobs and passports. “But we thought of giving them a chance. Kids do commit mistakes,” Mr. Abdullah told a news conference here. The majority of the youth arrested since last year were released on bail and now just 35 were in custody. This belied the separatists' claim that thousands were languishing in prisons, the Chief Minister said. “Some 70 youths are in judicial remand,” he said and urged the parents, whose children had been involved in stone throwing and who consequently went into hiding, to get bail for the boys so that they could avail themselves of amnesty. Policy for PoK youth Replying to a question about the rehabilitation policy for youth from PoK, he said “We have received 900 applications. The move doesn't suit Pakistan and Pakistan-administered Kashmir. But modalities are being worked out to facilitate the smooth return of youth willing to return,” To another query about the State Human Rights Commission's investigation into unmarked graves, the Chief Minister said, “The government is waiting for its final report. We won't comment on the issues unless we get a final formal report.” Terming anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazre's decision to end his fast a victory of the people, the Chief Minister said: “It also shows the larger heart of the parliamentary committee and the UPA government that kept talks going to break the ice.”


[Home] [Archives 2011]
Web site maintained by Md. Sadiq & Friends