Geelani Calls For Valley Shutdown On March 12

Geelani Calls For Valley Shutdown On March 12

9 March 2011
The Indian Express


Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat chief Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Wednesday called for a shutdown on March 12 against the “ongoing arrest of the youths and Hurriyat activists in the Valley”. “The government has arrested hundreds of youths in the state as part of its so-called bid to pre-empt a fresh uprising in the state. In the process, it has let loose a reign of terror which will put to shame even the autocratic Dogra rulers of Kashmir,” Geelani said in a statement. “People in the state will strongly protest against this repression by observing a complete strike on Saturday (March 12).” He alleged that the government has detained around 50 separatist leaders under various “fictitious cases”. “Even after quashing of the PSA (Public Safety Act ) by courts, the government invokes second or third PSA orders against them,” Geelani said. The hawk also rubbished reports that Kashmir would rise again in revolt in June this year. Referring to a popular slogan, Khoon ka badla June Main Lenge (We will avenge killings in June)”, Geelani said the slogan was a government creation. “We don’t start protests for the sake of them, nor is it an annual habitual reaction. Last year’s resistance followed government’s policy of wanton killings of Kashmiri youth,” Geelani said. “Protests last year followed when three youths from Machil disappeared and subsequently many more fell to police and CRPF bullets”.


[Home] [Archives 2011]
Web site maintained by Md. Sadiq & Friends