Armed Struggle To Continue: Salahuddin2 February 2011
Muzaffarabad: The Chairman of United Jihad Council and Supreme Commander of Hizbul Mujahideen Syed Salahuddin Wednesday declared that a “target-oriented armed struggle” would continue in Jammu and Kashmir along side the peaceful public movement till the goal is achieved. “If the state wide target-oriented armed struggle coupled with a well coordinated public movement guided by the unified Hurriyat leadership sees Pakistan’s bold policy at its back- a policy devoid of flexibility, surrender, unilateral concessions and retreat – India can be brought to its knees,” Salahuddin told a news conference here. The UJC chief however appeared in disagreement with an alleged impression in some quarters that the peaceful struggle in Kashmir had been more successful than the armed struggle. “Some people say that the 16-years of armed struggle could not do what the 7- months of peaceful struggle has done. I ask that have these 7 months seen liberation of a single inch or withdrawal of single force personnel?” he questioned. He pointed out that the armed struggle had never been abandoned after it was launched in 1989. “Regarding Intifada the people of Kashmir were engaged in it right from 1947. The actions of Mujahideen continued between 2007 and 2010 as well and were very effective notwithstanding their number,” he said. However, he said, when the unarmed Kashmiris poured on to the roads over the last 7 months the UJC decided to restrict its activities to the border areas to leave no excuse for the force personnel to shoot at the peaceful gatherings. The UJC chief said it was high time that the pro-freedom leadership in Kashmir gets united on principles and gives a unanimous programme. Regarding Pakistan, he said, it should vigorously support the right to self determination of Kashmiris and avoid befriending India. Salahuddin said militants were not opposed to trans-LoC travel or trade, but these things were not connected to the objectives of the armed struggle. “We have never demanded permission of travel across the dividing line but complete withdrawal of forces. Neither will we compromise our stand nor will allow anyone else to do so,” he said.