Leh Toll Rises To 167, Five Foreigners Among Dead10 August 2010
The Economic Times
Srinagar: The toll in the devastating flash floods caused by the sudden cloudburst in Leh town in Jammu and Kashmir’s Ladakh region went up on Tuesday to 167, including five foreigners, while around 200 people were still missing, officials said. More than 150 foreign tourists trapped in Leh were relocated to safer places on Tuesday as the Indian Army intensified its rescue and relief operations, officials said. The army has also requested its Pakistani counterpart to help in locating 28 soldiers who are missing after the tragedy and might have slipped across the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Jammu and Kashmir between the two countries. Kashmir zone Inspector General of Police Farooq Ahmad said: “We have recovered 167 bodies so far, 140 of whom have been identified.” Five foreigners - two Frenchmen, one Spanish, one Italian and one Romanian - are feared dead, Mr Ahmad said, citing the tour operators who were with these tourists when the disaster struck. “Around 200 people were still missing while the relief and rescue operations continue in Leh town and 12 villages adjacent to it. About 400 injured are being treated in different makeshift hospitals in Leh town,” he said.