Youth Who Went To PoK For Training Returns

6 February 2009
The Indian Express

Srinagar: After spending two years in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK), a youth returned to Kashmir through Line of Control from Uri sector. The arrested youth has been handed over to police. Identified as Mohammad Hanif, a resident of Uri had told his interrogators that hundreds of youths who had gone to PoK for arms training are desperate to return to their native villages in the Valley. Recently, J-K chief minister, Omar Abdullah had said that his government was seriously considering a proposal of bringing back hundreds of youth who had crossed over to PoK for arms training and were willing to return to their ancestral places to lead a peaceful life. Officials said Hanif; a resident of Madiyan village close to LoC in Uri had crossed to Pakistan Occupied Kashmir in April 2007 after he got lured by false lucrative prospects in PoK. 'Hanif was apprehended by Army on the Line of Control in the wee hours soon after he kept shouting close to the forward posts of the Army in Uri,' Army spokesman said. 'He (Hanif) threw his pistol and clothes to convey that he was harmless and continued seeking for help from the Army,' he said, adding that the troops assisted in extricating him from the minefield, where he was stuck.' After brief questioning, the person was handed over to the police who arrested him and took him into custody,' the spokesman said. During questioning, the arrested person told the officials that he had gone to Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) to join his brother Karamdeen, who crossed over to Pakistan Occupied Kashmir in 1990. 'He disclosed the dismal state of affairs in PoK, especially in the camps set up for the Kashmiris and known as Mojahir camps,' said an official in Uri. Hanif had also highlighted the plight of Kashmiri youths in PoK and the overwhelming desire of Kashmiri youths to come back to their homes. This is not the first case when a Kashmir youth has crossed LoC through Uri to lead a peaceful life in his native place. Earlier, also many militants returned their homes through Uri sector; some even came along with their families. All the persons were handed over to Police and many were later released by the different courts.