January 2007 News

2 LeT militants, civilian killed

13 January 2007
The Daily Excelsior
Excelsior Correspondent

Srinagar: Three people, including two militants of Pakistan-based militant outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT), were killed while’s militants triggered three blasts within half an hour in Srinagar city this evening, injuring five civilians and equal number of security force personnel. A joint search operation was conducted by Special Operation Group (SOG) of Jammu and Kashmir Police and 14 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) at Sumbler in Bandipora in north Kashmir district of Baramulla early this morning. However, when the security forces were about to storm a particular house, they came under heavy fire from militants hiding there. The fire was returned, and in the fierce clash, two militants and a civilian Bashir Ahmad Lone were killed. Two AK rifles, six magazines and 223 rounds of ammunition were recovered from the slain militant. Sources said in another joint operation, security forces recovered a powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) from the house of one Ali Mohammad Tantray at Handwara in the frontier district of Kupwara. They said militants were planning to detonate the IED ahead of Republic Day to target security forces and cause panic. Meanwhile, three hand grenade blasts within ten minutes here this evening injured 10 persons, including five security personnel, official sources said. Militants fired a grenade at a security forces picket at Shah Cinema Qamarwari here around 6.10 pm. It missed the target and landed on the road injuring five civilians, the sources said, adding that three were locals and two belonged to Bihar. The injured were identified as Sajad Ahmad Khan and Majid Khan of Police Housing Colony Bemina, Khurshid Ahmad Bhat of Nawa Kadal and two Bihari labourers— Mehraj-ud-Din and Mohd Akram. In another attack, which took place barely after ten minutes of the first one, two CRPF personnel were injured when militants hurled a grenade at them at Boulevard in the busy Dal Lake area of the city. Yet another grenade attack took place near a mosque at Eidgah at 6.30 pm in which three CRPF men sustained minor injuries. No militant outfit has claimed responsibility for the attacks so far. Meanwhile, a cache of explosives, ammunition and drugs was hauled by security forces from two militant hide-outs in Kashmir, an official spokesman said today. He said security personnel busted a militant hide-out during a search operation in Badergund forests in Ganderbal area of this district and 5 AK magazines, 139 rounds, two UBGL grenades, some brown sugar and four blankets were recovered. In another search operation, they found four UBGL grenades and two wireless sets from Carriappa park of Baramulla town, the spokesman added.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page