November 2006 News

Muzaffarabads reconstruction given to Chinese firms: Erra

16 November 2006
The News International

Islamabad: The reconstruction of Muzaffarabad has been given to Chinese firms, while town planning of Balakot, Rawalakot and Muzaffarabad is being done at satisfactory pace. The land acquisition for Muzaffarabad is under process. Detailed topographical survey of vast area for construction of new Balakot is complete and delay is occurring due to physical demarcation and completion of land acquisition process by the provincial government. This has been stated by Lieutenant General Nadeem Ahmad, deputy chairman Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (Erra) while addressing news conference here at the PM Secretariat Thursday. Nadeem said that 96% people have been given housing subsidy in the case of rural affected and remaining 4% problematic cases are being rectified at the district level by the Erra. 34,000 houses have completed their plinth-level construction and the owner of the same will get third tranche of Rs25,000 in next 15 days. At the moment 200,000 houses are in various stages of reconstruction and the reconstruction of entire 600,000 houses would be completed by the 2008 as directed by President General Pervez Musharraf, he added. The deputy chairman Erra said that under the authoritys rural housing construction programme and human resource development, 85,000 people have been trained in seismic resistant reconstruction thus creating a talent pool ready to export to friendly countries requiring reconstruction. Regarding Urban Housing a total of 23,975 forms were received for damage assessment out of which 23,452 have been assessed and a total amount of Rs2,086 million have been paid, he said.

 

Return to the Archives 2006 Index Page

Return to Home Page