Report on Azad Kashmir rejected
18 October 2006
Islamabad: Rejecting a report of the Human Rights Watch on Azad Kashmir, AJK People’s Muslim League president Barrister Sultan Mehmood Chaudhry on Wednesday termed it exaggerated and not based on ground realities. Criticising the report, he said an appropriate number of armed forces men were deployed along the Line of Control and they were also working with the Kashmiris for rehabilitation and reconstruction of the areas hit by last year’s earthquake. Talking to APP, he said, more than 800,000 Indian troops were carrying out atrocities against innocent Kashmiris in occupied Kashmir and so far they have martyred more than 80,000 men, women and children. “I am shortly leaving for the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and other European countries to expose Indian suppression and subjugation in occupied Kashmir,” he said. He said the Kashmir issue had entered a decisive phase as both Pakistan and India had engaged in a dialogue process for the settlement of the dispute. Kashmiris, he said, were the main party to the issue and they must be included in the dialogue. He said the issue must be resolved in accordance with the United Nations Security Council resolutions and the wishes of Kashmiri people. He expressed confidence that Kashmiris would continue their struggle till the achievement of their right to self- determination.