February 2003 News

Qasim Nagar massacre accused escapes from police lockup

11 February 2003
The Hindustan Times
Press Trust of India

Jammu: In a major security lapse, one of the accused in the massacre of 30 migrant Hindu labourers in Qasim Nagar locality of Jammu city last year, on Tuesday escaped from a police lockup in Surankote of Poonch district, police sources said here. Altaf Hussain, a Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) member of a six member group that included a foreign mercenary and a LeT hitman, Abu Tallah involved in the massacre on July 13 last year, gave a slip to security men and escaped from the police lockup early on Tuesday morning, the sources told PTI.Hussain, a resident of Fazalabad village of Surankote was taken there in connection with the case sometime back, they said.A manhunt was launched in entire Poonch district to arrest him, the sources said adding that a probe has been ordered into his escape.Two cops have been put suspended in this connection, they said.Hussain, was was involved in several attacks on security forces and killings of people in Poonch district and also smuggled weapons from Surankote to Jammu city for their use in the massacre, they said.He was arrested alongwith six others including top ranking terrorist Abu Tallah in October last year, the sources said.

 

Return to the Archives 2003 Index Page

Return to Home Page