January 2002 News

Night of terror in Kashmir: 17 people massacred on Sunday

7 January 2002
The Indian Express

Jammu: At least half a dozen Hindus were killed and 16 others injured as militants struck in Luru and Sunwan villages under the jurisdiction of Ramsoo police post near the Jammu-Srinagar national highway late last night. Identifying three of the deceased as Baldev Singh and his son Karan Pal Singh, besides his sister-in-law Sharda Devi, sources said the victims were sitting inside a room of their house at Luru village when militants came and lobbed a grenade. Three people died on the spot and four others were injured. The injured included Baldev''s wife Durga Devi, daughter Maina Devi, besides niece Anita Devi and an SPO Sanjeet Singh. Three other Hindus were killed and 12 others injured as militants opened fire at the nearby Sunwan village. The details were awaited as the security forces and police parties, who had rushed to the massacre sites in the morning, were still in Ramsoo at the time of filing this report. While Luru is eight km from the nearest motorable Jammu-Srinagar national highway, Sunwan is situated at a distance of nearly 15 km. In the same area, militants had killed 21 Hindus at Kunda village last year. The police and security forces, sources said, came to know about the massacres only in the morning when a villager came down the hill and informed that militants had lobbed a grande at the house of Baldev Singh in Luru village last night. As the police and security forces reached there, they came to know about another massacre at village Sunwan also. Continuing their killing spree, militants also struck at village Kakora in Rajouri district and slit the throats of two villagers. Identifying the deceased as Mir Hussain (48) and Nazar Hussain (29), sources said the former was an ex-serviceman and deployed as a PSO of a ruling National Conference leader and the latter was working as a porter with the Army. Mir Hussain had come home following the death of his mother a few days ago. Giving details, sources said about half a dozen militants came to the house of Nazar Hussain and asked him to accompany them to the house of Mir Hussain. After reaching there, militants slit the throat of both of them and fled. The police and security forces have been rushed to the area to launched searches for the militants.


Return to the Archives 2002 Index Page

Return to Home Page