November 2001 News

Lashkar, Jaish decline to react to US funds-squeeze

3 November 2001
The Times of India
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan-based militant outfits Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammad on Saturday declined to react to the US ban on the two groups saying they had not yet received or seen the official communication from the Bush Administration.On the American Government listing the LeT and Jaish as terrorist outfits, a Pakistan Foreign Office spokesman Aziz Khan declined to answer the question saying Pakistan had not yet received any official communication from the US in this regard.A spokesman of the LeT, Yahya Mujahid too said that he had only seen news reports in this regard but had not yet seen the official US order banning his group.Another militant outfit, Jaish-E-Mohammad has not yet reacted to the ban but had struck a defiant note when US Administration had frozen its accounts last month for its alleged links with terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden.Reacting to the freezing of accounts of his group, Jaish founder leader, Moulana Masud Azhar, said America had taken the action against his group at the instance of India and the Mujahideen would deliver a ''smashing blow'' to reassert their authority in Kashmir.Both LET and Jaish, which actively carried out insurgency operations in Kashmir have been listed as terrorist groups in the 22 member list released by the US on Saturday. Another Pakistan based militant group, Harkat-ul- Mujahideen has already been banned by US in the first list of organisations which were banned for their alleged links with Bin Laden.

 

Return to the Archives 2001 Index Page

Return to Home Page