April 2001 News

11 militants, nine CRPF men killed in Kashmir

29 April 2001
The Asian Age

Srinagar: In a move to step up violence in the Kashmir Valley, militants killed at least nine paramilitary forces personnel including a deputy commandant of Border Security Force in the central Kashmir district of Budgam, while 11 militants were killed in a single operation in the frontier district of Poonch on Sunday. At least six CRPF men were killed and four others critically wounded in Budgam when the vehicle in which they were travelling was blown up into pieces in a landmine explosion on Sunday morning, while 11 militants were killed by the Indian Army in Poonch district of Jammu region. The vehicle of the police and CRPF men on a search patrol in Hardu Malpora area was targeted by a remote controlled device by militants hiding at distance on Sunday morning. Three CRPF men were killed on the spot and six others wounded. Three of them succumbed to their injuries later. The dead were identified as Bintu Singh, Badri Prasad, Rajinder Singh, Prakash Chander and Suchan Singh. The search patrol had started after the Beerwah police station received information about some bodies lying Hardu-Malpora village but while the patrol was about to reach the site, the explosion was caused killing and wounding the paramilitary force personnel. Three BSF personnel and three militants were killed in a fierce encounter in Zinpanshal village near Charar-e-Sharief on Sunday afternoon. One of them is BSF deputy commandant Vijay Singh. A report from Poonch said that the Army killed 11 top militants of Lashkar-e-Tayyaba and Hizb-ul-Mujahadeen in the forests of Hari-Marhot in Surankote area on Sunday afternoon. The troops had mounted an operation against the militants after learning about their deadly intentions to cause attacks on the security forces. The Army through its sources, claimed its spokesman, reached the hideout and came under shower of bullets. The spokesman said that the Army suffered no losses but its retaliatory fire which lasted for nearly three hours left 11 militants dead. All the militants were foreigners and belonged to Hizb-ul-Mujahadeen and Lashkar-e-Tayyaba outfits. The bodies of the slain militants were handed over to the police. At least 30,000 people have been killed in Kashmir since the insurgency erupted in 1989, the government says. Human rights groups put the death toll at twice that number.


Return to the Archives 2001 Index Page

Return to Home Page