February 2001 News

4 securitymen killed; 16 hurt

19 February 2001
The Pioneer

Srinagar: Four security personnel were killed and 16 others injured when militants attacked an Indo-Tibetan Border Police camp, two BSF pickets, an Army convoy and ambushed a police vehicle in the Kashmir Valley on Monday, an official spokesman here said. Militants ambushed a Kupwara-bound police Gypsy carrying two detenues on police remand at Amargarh in Sopore area of Baramulla district killing three cops and injuring two others including a detenue, Superintendent of Police, Baramulla, Abdul Qayoom Manhas, said. Head Constable Ghulam Rasool died instantly and five others, including a detenue were seriously injured in the ambush, Manhas said, adding the injured were rushed to hospital where two policemen - Special Police Officer Manzoor Ahmad and constable Mohammad Asif of Indian Reserve Police - succumbed to injuries. The condition of the detenue Mohammad Ramzan Mochi who received head injuries was stated to be 'serious', he said, adding the other detenue Bashir Ahmad who escaped unhurt was taken to Handwara police station by another police party which rushed to the scene from Sopore. One ITBP constable Rati Ram was killed and five were injured when militants fired four rifle grenades at their camp in Bemina here, official sources said adding the ITBP personnel fired back and later cordoned off the area. The injured Havaldar Ranjeet Singh, Surat Singh, Jagdesh, Ashok Kumar and R P Jagdeep have been hospitalised. Elsewhere in the Kashmir Valley, militants shot dead a policeman attached to Criminal Investigation Department (CID), in Pattan area of Baramulla district and a surrendered militant working with the forest department in Turkapora-Dragmullah in Kupwara district. At least four civilians were injured when militants hurled a grenade towards an Army convoy at Bijbehara, 45 km from here, on Monday evening but it missed the target and exploded on the road injuring four civilians, they said. The officials said militants also hurled grenades towards BSF pickets at Nawakadal and Narwarah in downtown Srinagar, but none was hurt in the explosions. Police apprehended a Lashker-e-Toiba militant Zahoor Ahmad Bhat and seized five Chinese grenades and some documents from his house at Saderkote in Baramulla district. A defence spokesperson at Jammu claimed that ten militants, mostly foreign mercenaries involved in the February 9 Kotchatwal killing of 15 civilians, and a jawan were killed and a transmission tower blown up since Sunday in Rajouri and Doda districts of Jammu Division where security forces foiled an infiltration bid. He said 10 militants, most of them foreign mercenaries, were gunned down by Army in an encounter in Rudh Nullah near Kotchatwal village of Rajouri district. The slain ultras belonged to Albadr and Harkat-ul-Mujahideen outfits, he added. A huge quantity of arms and ammunition were recovered from the encounter scene and search for more arms was continuing, he said. He said security forces also foiled an infiltration bid by militants who opened fire on a forward post in Rajouri-Nowshera sector on Sunday. An Army jawan was killed and another injured in the encounter, he said. Militants blew up a 220 kv transmission tower in a powerful IED blast at Chamalwas in Doda district on Sunday night. The tower crumbled affecting power supply to Kashmir Valley, he adds. Meanwhile, five top leaders of Hurriyat Conference continued to remain under detention and house arrest on Monday as authorities did not let them off them in view of the 'tense situation' in the region. JKLF chairman Mohammad Yaseen Malik, his deputy Javid Ahmad Mir and Ghulam Mohammad Hubby of People's Conference spent their second day in Kothibagh police station, while Hurriyat chairman Abdul Gani Bhat and his predecessor Syed Ali Shah Geelani remained under house arrest, official sources said. While Bhat and Geelani were placed under house arrest on Saturday, Malik, Mir and Hubby were arrested on Sunday. In view of prevailing situation in Srinagar the authorities have decided not to let off them, officials said. J and K Democratic Freedom Party president Shabi Ahmad Shah, who was arrested on Friday, was shifted to Srinagar Central Jail on Sunday.


Return to the Archives 2001 Index Page

Return to Home Page