February 2001 News

Inquiry in Sikh carnage at Mehjoor Nagar in full swing

16 February 2001
The Daily Excelsior
Excelsior Correspondent

JAMMU: The Government have taken several confidence building measures for the Sikh community following killing of six persons of the community in Mehjoor Nagar, Srinagar on February 3, 2001. The measures include strengthening of security grid around Sikh inhabited villages, establishment of police pickets for the protection of the minorities at strategic locations and intensification of patrolling by security forces and police around such villages and pockets. This was stated by the Minister of State for Home, Mr Mushtaq Ahmad Lone in reply to a Calling Attention Notice of Mr Mohammad Shafi Bhat regarding killing of six persons at Mehjoor Nagar in the Legislative Assembly today. The Minister said that number of joint meetings of the various communities were held at various places in the Valley to restore confidence of the members of Sikh community and all the police stations and Special Operation Groups (SOG) of police have been directed to launch joint operations against the militants after collecting correct information. Mr Lone said that inquiry in the incident was going on in full swing. Giving details about the incident, Mr Lone said that on February 1, 2001 a dead body of one Bilal Ahmad Khan son of Mohammad Shafi Khan resident of Maharaj Bazar, Srinagar, a three wheeler driver, was recovered from Tengpora Batamalloo which evoked protest against the police and SOG alleging that he had been picked up by the two SOG Sikh personnel. He said, while this allegation was not true, but the media by its repeated references to members of Sikh community being involved in the incident had also played into the hands of militants. However, in view of the repeated projections in the media about members of a particular community allegedly responsible for the death of the auto driver, the police throughout the Valley was alerted to remain careful, the Minister said while regretting that despite all precautionary measures this sad incident took place. He said FIRs for both the incidents viz-a-viz Bilal Ahmad's killing and massacre of six Sikh persons have been registered at Police Station Sadar and investigation of the cases is going on in full swing.

 

Return to the Archives 2001 Index Page

Return to Home Page