January 2001 News

Six securitymen killed, 12 injured in blasts

18 January 2001
The Hindustan Times

Srinagar: SIX SECURITY personnel including a Deputy Commandant of Border Security Force (BSF) were killed and 12 others, were injured as militants blew up two security vehicles by detonating two powerful land-mines in south Kashmir today. In the first explosion, the spokesman said , four BSF personnel including Deputy Commandant of 34th Battalion of the force, D K Budhalial were killed and two other jawans critically wounded when their vehicle ran over a land-mine planted by militants near Chankitar bridge in Kahleel area of Pulwama district around 9:30 am. The vehicle was extensively damaged in the explosion which was triggered by militants when the BSF officer alongwith his escort personnel were on way to a nearby camp to take stock of the situation arising out of militants attack on it late last night, the spokesman said. Although no one was injured in the militant attack on the camp, it is suspected that militants had laid a trap to target the BSF officer, he said. The other three jawans killed in the explosion were identified as head constable Vinod, Constable Sarfaraz Khan and Constable D V Sharma. The injured - Ranjeet Roy and Gopal were shifted to Army base hospital in a critical condition, the spokesman said. Half-an-hour later, militants detonated another landmine at Chechkote-Chursoo near Awantipora, some 30 kms from here, injuring 12 soldiers and a girl and damaging the army bus carrying them to Jammu, the spokesman said. He said four of the injured, including two junior commissioned officers and the girl, succumbed to injuries in hospital where the condition of three was stated to be critical. The killed girl was Leena Sharma, daughter of an army captain, who was among several soldiers and their families travelling from Srinagar to Jammu in the ill-fated vehicle. Thursday's blasts were the third major strike by militants in the past five days in Kashmir valley. Militants made an abortive bid on the life of Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah on Sunday. Two days later, a militant suicide squad in police uniform made an unsuccessful bid to storm the Srinagar airport triggering a fierce gun-battle that killed six ultras, three CRPF personnel and two civilians.


Return to the Archives 2001 Index Page

Return to Home Page